Saro Agro-Allied is a leading agricultural commodities exporting company that started in 1996 as a cocoa trading company. Today, we are a major player in the Cocoa Supply Chain in Nigeria trading both locally and internationally.
Between 1999 to 2018 we achieved major milestones trading with Schokinag of Germany, Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) and Olam, following the acquisition of ADM Cocoa. We pioneered the exporting of Organic Cocoa to Europe from Nigeria and this feat was achieved through an efficiently run “out-growers” scheme, certified by the world-renowned Institute of Marketecology, IMO.
Our past operations covered sesame seeds, cashew and cocoa value chain, working with farmers and Licensed Buying Agents.
We have prime market knowledge and our relationship with the farmers is unparalleled in the Nigerian commodity industry and this gives us an edge over competition in navigating the local procurement channels in Nigeria.
In 2019 we set a goal to transform from a short cycle trading business to a Consumer driven sustainable Agric. & Food business Company that will play in the multi seed oil crushing, value added export and marketing of branded food products in Nigeria.
In pursuit of this we made investments in Rice & Soybean value chain. We are entrenching our presence in the local B2B market as well as expanding downstream of the value chain, connecting more with the consumer and creating additional value. While rapidly developing capabilities in local market, we have initiated Non-GMO Soybean meal export to drive scale and open new market opportunities.
Our goal is to transform from trading to a Consumer driven sustainable Agric. & Food business Company
Highlights of Our Story
- Began operations with the sourcing and exportation of cocoa as a division of Saro Agrosciences selling to the trade houses only.
- Began business with Schokinag in 1998 thereby changing the business model from origin to industry.
- Reached 10,000 MT export milestone and became an independent company under the Saroafrica International group.
- Spread operations to all the Cocoa producing areas of Nigeria (12 buying zones in 6 states)
- Pioneered Organic Cocoa in 2007 with 503 farmers from 21 villages in 4 states under IMO certification in partnership withSchokinag.
- Exported the first 450 MT of Organic Cocoa to Schokinag from Nigeria.
- Commenced business with ADM as a Nigerian local supply partner after the acquisition of Schokinag in 2009.
- 5,000 direct Cocoa Farmers reached through the Organic Cocoa, UTZ Certification and Golden Cocoa Program.
- Exported 30,000 MT of Nigerian Cocoa making Saro Agro-Allied the best indigenous cocoa exporter.
- Won Nigerian Export Promotion Council best Indigenous non-oil Exporter of the year for 2 consecutive years in 2011 and 2012 after exporting 12.5% of Nigeria’s cocoa production.
- Started Golden Cocoa project in partnership with Saro Agrosciences.
- Business transformation in 2019 from a short cycle trading business to a Consumer driven sustainable Agric. & Food business Company that will play in the multi seed oil crushing, value added export and marketing of branded food products in Nigeria